You Need WHAT?
I remember it clearly. It was a Tuesday, late in the afternoon … The call came in asking us to design and print 60,000 special offering envelopes to be delivered to the West Coast by Friday. I thought, “There is no way.” But I said, “Let me see what I can do.”
I made a few calls and we were, in fact, able to deliver. Instantly, we became a hero to our client. Our printer became a hero to us. Everything was great until four weeks later, when we got a call from the same client, with the same request again.
What we discovered was a symptom of a much larger problem – lack of prior planning. Did the ministry that we were working with have a great vision? Absolutely. Did it have great leadership? Second to none. Were they a joy and delight to work with? Without a doubt. But they were reacting instead of planning for all of their needs.
As we approach the fall season, many people begin planning for the next year. In order to facilitate good planning, we suggest you look at four levels: Objectives, Strategies, Tactics, and Steps.
GOALS are measurable expressions of what we want to accomplish. The big picture. The end result.
- We want to generate 25% additional sales.
- We want to see 1,000 people brought to Christ in 2019.
- We want to increase our active donor base by 10%.
STRATEGIES are how we accomplish the Goals.
- Increase our marketing budget.
- Do a series of three outreach events over the summer.
- Initiate a name acquisition program.
OBJECTIVES are the logistical processes to executing the Strategies.
- Develop an integrated marketing campaign.
- Conduct a monthly concert crusade in the park during June, July, and August.
- Determine the best way to acquire new names.
TACTICS become the practical progression in order to achieve the Objectives.
- Write copy, design creative, purchase ad space, print direct mail, etc.
- Book talent, coordinate vendors, get permits, etc.
- Negotiate lists, develop creative, establish calendar, execute on time, analyze results, etc.
It takes people working on all four levels in order to get everything accomplished. A coordinated effort within your organization will keep everything moving forward.
Keep these in mind as you think through your next year’s goals. Remember that goals are great, but they are pointless without follow-through. Each level builds upon the next. And if you need 60,000 special offering envelopes by Friday … I’ll see what I can do.
Let Infinity Concepts help you develop plan your marketing and fundraising strategy. Contact us today!