Look Back — Look Around — Look Ahead.
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven…
We live in a world filled with seasons: The calendar has four seasons … each follows the other with distinct purpose in the cycle of life.
We just completed the Christmas holiday season when we remember the great gift of God’s son, Jesus. Families gather to celebrate, gifts are exchanged, meals are shared, scriptures are read — all in the name of Immanuel – God with us.
Now, just a few days later, the season has changed once again. Solomon was correct when he penned those famous words in Ecclesiastes … “to everything there is a season.”
As we approach the New Year, it is a time to assess – to look back, look around and look ahead.
First, this is a Season of Reflection. Look back on the past year – understand your challenges, learn from your mistakes, and thank God for His blessings. Here are a few questions for you and your organization to reflect upon:
- What was our organization’s main accomplishment this year?
- What are the three things we did really well this year?
- What did we do this year that we never did before?
- What held us back from accomplishing more?
- Did our brand drift (accidental) or shift (intentional) in the past year?
Next, this is a Season of Assessment. This is the best time to assess your current strengths and weaknesses. Determine where you are strong and where you are weak – be brutally honest! The future can only be built on a true foundation – not an imagined one. Here are a few questions to help you honestly assess your position:
- What do people think of when they think of us?
- What is the comment we hear most often about our work?
- Are we staffed to overcome our weaknesses?
- Are we living within our budget?
- Are we fulfilling our mission effectively?
Lastly, this is a Season of Adjustment. This is the best season to set a new course, explore new opportunities, and set specific goals. Here are a few questions for you and your organization to use for planning:
- What is the biggest change we need to make in the coming year?
- What three things do we need to improve upon in the coming year?
- What are our SMART Goals (Specific-Measurable-Actionable-Realistic-Timed) for the coming year?
- What do we need to do to strengthen or shift our brand?
- How can we expand awareness, increase engagement, and grow our organization?
One of the amazing things about this process is that it stimulates creativity and sows the seeds for change. I guarantee that after you go through this simple process you will be prepared to lay new plans for the coming year with greater focus and clarity.
There is no greater teacher than experience, there is no greater mentor than reflection, and there is no greater inspiration than opportunity.
Infinity Concepts wants to thank each of you for your friendship and partnership.
In the coming year, please let us know if we can assist you in any way.
CLICK HERE to discover the 100+ Ways Infinity Concepts Can Help in 2019!
Latest posts by Mark Dreistadt (see all)
- A Better Alternative - September 27, 2019
- Foundations For The Future: Donor Acquisition AND Donor Retention - August 16, 2019
- Direct Mail Is Alive and Well… - June 28, 2019